Đa số những bạn đạt điểm Ielts speaking cao đều không thể bỏ qua việc học idioms. Dùng idioms đúng ngữ cảnh trong bài thi thể hiện bạn là người có vốn hiểu biết sâu sắc về tiếng Anh. Chỉ cần 1 idiom được phát ra đúng thời điểm thôi cũng đủ giúp ta ghi điểm speaking. Bài viết này mình sẽ giới thiệu đến các bạn những idioms giúp “cứu cánh” trong bài thi ielts speaking.
1. Down to earth – practical and realistic; Back to reality
Thực tế, quay trở lại thực tiễn
Ex: It’s time we were brought down to earth to figure out difficult situation, and offer a good solution.
2. Full of beans – A person who is lively, active and healthy.
Tràn trề sức sống
Ex: I really enjoy being with my best friend because he is always full of beans.
3. Get a head start – Start before all others
Sự khởi đầu thuận lợi
Ex:This year we’ll get a head start on the competition by running more advertisements.
4. In the nick of time – not too late, but very close
Vừa đúng lúc, kịp lúc
Ex: I got to the drugstore just in the nick of time. It’s a good thing, because I really need this medicine!
5. Fresh/Clean out of something – have sold or used up the last of something
Dùng hết, bán hết sạch thứ gì đó
Ex: I have to go buy some more milk. It seems we’re fresh out now.
6. Have/Get mixed feelings about something – to be uncertain about something
Có cảm xúc lẫn lộn, không chắc chắn về điều gì đó
Ex: I have mixed feelings about my trip to England. I love the people, but the climate upsets me.
7. Hard feelings – the emotion of being upset or offended.
Oán hờn, tức giận, buồn
Ex: I am sorry I have to fire you. No hard feelings, okay?
8. Hit the hay – go to bed
Ex: It’s after 12 o’clock. I think it’s time to hit the hay.
9. Be sick to death of something/Doing something – to be angry and bored because something unpleasant has been happening for too long
Chán và buồn bực vì chuyện gì đó không hài lòng mà phải làm nó quá lâu
Ex: I’m sick to death of doing nothing but work. Let’s go out tonight and have fun.
10. (Come) rain or shine – means something will happen regardless of weather or other difficulties.
Dù chuyện gì xảy ra
Ex: I will be on time for the class, rain or shine. Come rain or shine, she is always smiling.
11. Be all ears – eager and ready to listen
Lắng nghe chăm chú
Ex: I’m all ears, waiting to hear your latest excuse for not getting this job done!
12. Give it one’s best shot – do the best that one can
Cố gắng hết mình
Ex: This test question is really tough! I’ll give it my best shot, and I’ll get some marks for doing my best.
13. In deep water – in difficulty; in trouble or in a dangerous situation
Ở trong tình trạng khó khăn, gặp rắc rối hay nguy hiểm
Ex: He has not submitted his dissertation so he’s in deep water.
14. Next to nothing – to cost very little
Hầu như không tốn kém gì
Ex: I went to the new discount store and bought these new shoes for only five dollars. That’s next to nothing!
15. To be up in arms about something – upset or angry about something.
Tức giận, buồn bực vì điều gì đó
Ex: She has been UP IN ARMS about the rent increase.
16. Put yourself in somebody’s shoes – imagine that you are in somebody’s position in order to understant his/her feelings
Đặt mình vào hoàn cảnh của người khác
Ex: If you put yourself in my shoes, you would understand why I made that decision
17. A Penny for Your Thoughts ask someone who is being very quiet what they are thinking about
Hỏi xem ai đang nghĩ gì nhất là khi họ có vẻ đang mải mê suy nghĩ.
Ex: For several minutes they sat silently, then finally she looked at him and said, “A penny foryour thoughts, Walter.”
18. Against the clock – do something as fast as possible and try to finish it before a certain time.
Chạy đua với thời gian
Ex: With her term paper due on Monday, she was racing against the clock to finish it
19. At all costs – do everything you can to achieve/succeed something
Bằng bất cứ giá nào
Ex: My dream is to become a successful businessman and I will work hard for it AT ALL COSTS
20. Explore all avenues – investigate every possible means to find a solution to a givenproblem or to achieve a desired outcome.
Thử hết mọi đường, tìm mọi giải pháp có thể để đạt được kết quả
Ex: We need to EXPLORE ALL AVENUES before doing something that is not very safe to a great number of people in order to minimize unfavourable consequences
21. On the ball – active and aware of things
Nhanh nhẹn, tinh nhanh, có ý thức về điều gì đó
Ex: Our staff is really on the ball to get projects done on time.
22. Throw in the towel – Give up on something
Đầu hàng, chịu thua, từ bỏ điều gì đó
Ex: I’ve spent too much time on this project to throw in the towel now.
23.Lend an ear – to listen carefully and in a friendly way to someone
Lắng nghe cẩn thận
Ex: If you have any problems, go to Claire. She’ll always lend a sympathetic ear.
24. On cloud nine – very happy; deliriously happy
Vô cùng sung sướng, hạnh phúc
Ex: She just bought her first new car and she’s on cloud nine.
25. Bushed – tired.
Mệt mỏi, uể oải
Ex: I am totally bushed after staying up so late.
Xem thêm các bài viết liên quan đến ielts:
Nguồn: Cô Trần Tố Linh.